Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Night in the ER


Well, I had an interesting night last night. I went to Urgent Care because I had been having pain in my leg for a few days and when I got home from work I layed down on the couch and could feel my heart racing. Soon, I was having a little pressure in my chest. I had googled leg pain the night before and was a little freaked out when it talked about blood clots but I dismissed this... until the chest pain. I decided I would go to Urgent Care and for a $20 copay I would be on my way with peace of mind. Not so... They did an EKG with showed slight issues. With the leg pain and the seriousness of blood clots I soon found myself being sent to the ER where they had me do a crazy amount of testing. I had another EKG, blood taken, a CT scan of the heart, a CT scan of the lung, a chest xray and an ultrasound of the leg. Whew. I was hooked up to a heart monitor and had an IV for the one test where I had to have dye injected. The doctor remarked that one of the tests done was to check for the condition that John Ritter died from. What a sad loss of life that was. And preventable if he had received care in time. :( Thank GOD all the testing came out normal and I was sent on my way getting home at 4 AM. Needless to say I slept a lot of today while my poor hubby went off to work with 3 hours of sleep. The cause of the leg pain was discovered to be something called a Baker's Cyst which is not a big deal but can emulate the symptoms of a blood clot and thus the need for all the serious testing. Without getting too political in this forum, I wonder if I would have gotten such thorough care with government run health care?? Probably not. :( Scary!

1 comment:

rumzisfamily said...

I am so glad you are ok!! That is so scary! Hopefully you get some rest and I am so glad the tests were normal and you are home now! Good thing you went in, those symptoms are frightening!! Hope you feel better.